5 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE MORE RISKS
Written by Summer of Coffee with Summer
Life is a crazy ride for sure, but you know what will make it even more fun of a ride? Taking more risks. There is a time to say “no”, but there’s also a time to say, “yes!” I’m someone who’s always been more cautious about decisions and life, but lately, I have been wanting to step out to take more risks.
I have learned over the years that if you want to live life to the fullest, you have to take risks. Now, I’m not talking about some daredevil type risks, I’m talking about pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone so that you can learn and grow.
"Push yourself outside of your comfort zone. You'll learn and grow!"
This year, I chose to have “bold” be my word of the year. I don’t want my circumstances to force me into living a timid life. I don’t want my struggles with depression and anxiety to keep me from the bravery that I have deep inside of me. I want to step out every day with a boldness that shakes up the ordinary in my life, and the only way to do this is to take risks.
One of the greatest risks I have decided to take on is being self-employed. I’m a full-time blogger! While this is something I have been working for very hard over the past couple of years, it’s still very scary to me that I’m actually able to do what I love full time. I’m often nervous that I’m going to let myself down, which would lead to letting my loved ones down. With the support of my husband and cheering on from all of you, it makes this risk seem so worth it, even if I haven’t achieved my goals yet.
I know that being self-employed is a huge risk in many ways, but it’s one that I know I’m going to learn and grow in either way. If I fail, I will have learned what worked and what didn’t, and I’d become wiser because of it. If I succeed, I’m going to blossom into more than I can imagine right now. If I chose to stay safe and work a regular 9-5, one that I wasn’t passionate about, I wouldn’t happy or growing. I would simply be stagnant.
5 Reasons Why You Should Take More Risks:
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE MORE RISKS:
1. Grows Your Confidence // When you choose to step out and take a risk, you’re growing the confidence you have in yourself. This is a good thing! When you’re more confident in yourself and your abilities, you’ll be able to go after what you want with more passion and power. Now, remember, there’s a difference between being confident and being cocky, so always keep yourself accountable to that.
2. There Are More Opportunities // Taking risks is usually uncomfortable in some way, but taking risks always open doors for more opportunities. You never know what might come your way when you decide to take the first step. Step out and learn something new or pursue an old dream – you never know what might come your way from doing so. You just might find your calling or the key to achieving your dreams.
When you step out and take a risk, the door you've been looking for just might open.
3. You Always Learn // Whether the risk you take ends up being the right decision or not isn’t really what it comes down to. Instead, it all comes down to if you’ve learned anything from the risk or not. I would hope that for every risk you take that you learn at least one new thing. If you happen to fail, don’t fret. Instead, focus on what you could do differently next time. Look to find what you learned that made you wiser and stronger. Don’t let yourself get negative about failing. If you succeed, then awesome! Reflect on your success and journey to see all that you’ve learned.
4. Forces You To Exercise Your Creativity // When you decide you’re going to jump all into a risk, you’ll find you’re forced to exercise your creativity. Your creative instincts will kick in when you become open to new ideas and need to figure out a way to achieve something. This will help you figure out different ways to get things done. I think you should always be growing your creativity, and taking a risk here and there will definitely help that.
Your creative instincts will kick in when you become open to new ideas when taking risks.
5. Gets You More Comfortable With Change // As humans, most of us are not fans of change, but the truth is, change is needed for a full and fulfilling life. When you take risks, you get yourself out of the regular ruts you try to keep yourself in. Sure, comfort is, well, comfortable. But you grow more when you stretch yourself to be uncomfortable. Kind of like growing pains, you know? Trying new things forces you to get more comfortable with change.
When you stretch yourself, that's when you'll truly grow.